Ask anyone who lives in Spruce Grove, Alberta, what they think, and you’re likely to hear a mixed response. Some people love the small-town feel, and others can’t stand the cold winters. We all know that finding the perfect place to live can be a challenge.
Related: Spruce Grove Emergency Dentist
So is it a good place to live? Let’s find out.
What is Spruce Grove, and Where is it located?
In Alberta, Canada, Spruce Grove is a city within the Edmonton Metropolitan Region. It is 11 km (18 minutes) west of Edmonton city limits along Highway 16 (Yellowhead Highway) and is surrounded by Parkland County.
The town features several unique shops and services catering to locals and tourists alike. The community was reincorporated as a village in 1955 and became a town in 1971. Spruce Grove achieved city status on September 20, 1986.
Spruce Grove is a beautiful place to live, work, and play with a rich history and diverse culture!
What’s it like to live in Spruce Grove?
The city of Spruce Grove is an excellent choice for those looking for a small-town feel with all the niceties of a big city. It’s close to Edmonton and Calgary, making it a perfect option for those who want to be close to both urban and rural areas.
The people are friendly and welcoming, and there’s always something to do, whether you’re looking for recreation, shopping, dining, or just want to kill time. You’ll never find yourself bored or without choices in Spruce Grove.
Located just west of Edmonton, Spruce Grove is a thriving city with a population of over 39,607. It’s a great preference for families, young professionals, and retirees alike.
Who should live in Spruce Grove?
Spruce Grove, Alberta, is a superb place to raise a family. There are plenty of parks, green spaces, excellent schools, and community amenities. With plenty of housing options, the cost of living is also relatively affordable, making it a more budget-friendly option than some of the other cities in the region. Finally, the City of Spruce Grove has excellent medical facilities, including dental clinics, pharmacies, and hospitals.
Spruce Grove is also a great option for young professionals. The city has a growing economy with plenty of job opportunities to join, as well as affordable renting options. It’s also close to Edmonton, making it an easy commute for those working there.
Retirees in Canada will find Spruce Grove a relaxed and comfortable place to call home. There are plenty of activities and accessible amenities for seniors, as well as lovely parks and green spaces to enjoy. The living cost here is also very reasonable, making it a great choice for those on a fixed income.
The mayor, Jeff Acker of Spruce Grove, is also very accessible. He is always willing to listen to and support residents’ concerns and is committed to making Spruce Grove a welcoming and inclusive city for all.
Some of the top amenities in Spruce Grove include:
- Heritage Grove Park
- The Jubilee Park
- The Spruce Grove Farmers’ Market
- Glacier Greens Golf Course
- North Stony Dental
- Wagner Natural Area
The Climate in Spruce Grove
The city of Spruce Grove experiences all four seasons. The summers here are long, cozy, and partly cloudy. The winters are freezing, snowy, windy, and mostly cloudy. The temperature varies from 5°F to 74°F throughout the year and is rarely down -18°F or beyond 83°F.
But when one is looking for a small town with quality amenities, Spruce Grove is a great option. The cost of living is affordable, there are plenty of parks and green spaces, and the schools are excellent.
The Pros of Living in the City of Spruce Grove
Now that we’ve looked at some of the background information on Spruce Grove let’s take a peek at some of the pros of living in this Alberta city.
- The Community Feel: One of the best things about Spruce Grove is the community feel. It’s a close-knit city where everyone knows each other and looks out for one another. Most of the population here speaks English, making it a great place to be with family or retire.
- The Location: The City of Spruce Grove is just west of Edmonton, making it a perfect choice for those who want to mix both urban and rural areas. It’s also close to Calgary, making it an ideal location for commuters.
- The Amenities: Spruce Grove has all the amenities you need, including parks, schools, hospitals, and shopping. You’ll never find yourself bored or without choices in this city.
- Crime Rate: Spruce Grove has a shallow crime rate, making it a safe place to live.
- The Cost of Living: The expense of living in Spruce Grove is relatively affordable, making it a great choice for families and retirees.
Now that we’ve looked at some pros of living in Spruce Grove, let’s consider some cons.
The Cons of Living in Spruce Grove
Living in Spruce Grove has a number of benefits, but it also comes with a few drawbacks. Let’s just take a look at some of the cons of living in this Alberta city.
- The Traffic: One of the biggest complaints about Spruce Grove is the traffic. The city is close to Edmonton, which can cause congestion during rush hour.
- Snow: Although snow isn’t as much as in other cities, it can be challenging for people who are unfamiliar with it.
- The Cost of Living: With all the facilities, the cost of living is relatively affordable, yet it is still higher than in other Canadian regions.
The Bottom Line
With its close proximity to Edmonton, Spruce Grove is the perfect balance of big city convenience with quiet residential life. Approximately 39,607 people call Spruce Grove home. With its incredible amenities, friendly atmosphere, and carefully developed communities, it’s no wonder this city is growing in popularity.
If you’re looking for a comfortable and safe place to call home, Spruce Grove may be just the right fit for you.