Current recommendations suggest that a child should see a dentist even before their first birthday. This might sound like a lot if you’re a new parent, but the oral health of your child is as important as the rest of their well-being. More often than not, parents don’t pay that much attention to this, which can result in the appearance of problems that could’ve been prevented.
However, now that you know this, you might be wondering how to go about choosing a kid dentist in Stony Plain. Therefore, we have gathered a few things you should consider before making a decision. This way, you’ll be more informed and confident when you make a choice.
- Experience and knowledge: One of the things you should find out is if the dentist is specifically a pediatric dentist. These specialists have been trained for additional years to work with children. Also, they have training that enables them to work with children with special needs. When looking for your child’s dentist in Stony Plain, it’s important that you ask if they specialized in this area. Also, feel free to ask about their experience, and why they chose to work with kids.
- Environment: One of the things you should do before you bring your son or daughter in for the first consultation is touring the dental clinic in Stony Plain that you’ve been considering. Only by going in person and taking a look around will you be able to see if they are prepared to tend to children. The correct office will have toys and children’s books. This is a great way to soothe your child, keeping them calm before the consultation or procedure begins.
- Ask around: Just like you’d ask around for a good Italian restaurant recommendation, feel free to inquire about a good dentist in Stony Plain. Some of your friends or family can likely provide you with the information you need. This way, you are rest assured that someone else has already had a good experience with this professional.
- Location: Ideally, you should look for a dentist near you. This is because that way, the process will be easier and more practical. You don’t want to be stuck in traffic on your way to the dentist. That would only increase the pressure in what is already a stressful situation. By making sure the dental office is near your home or your kid’s school, you’re making things easier for yourself in the future.
- Services: It’s important to know what services the office offers. What’s the age range they work with? The idea is that this will be the same dentist that sees your kid for their entire childhood. Furthermore, you want to make sure their schedules are compatible with yours and when you’re able to establish appointments for your child. Find out if they have emergency hours available. While we all hope for the best, dental emergencies happen, especially with kids. It’s better to choose a kid dentist in Stony Plain that offers this option.
These are some of the most important things you should consider when choosing a dentist for your child. The goal is to make them view a visit to the dental office as something positive, which will make things easier for everyone in the future. By building this habit from an early age, it will be natural for them to maintain it in the future once they’re adults. Also, you can spare yourself expensive bills and headaches by keeping up with check-up appointments. After all, prevention is key when it comes to the oral health of your entire family.